Kirriemuir Heritage Trust grew out from public meetings in 2006 to start developing proposals to celebrate in 2010 the 150th anniversary of Barrie's birth. This having been achieved we are moving on.
The Angus Association of Voluntary Organisations recommended the establishment of a group with a longer-term and wider remit. We are now both a registered charity, regulated by OSCR, and a Company Limited by Guarantee. These safeguard the interests of the Trustees and members, and ensure the highest standards of administration.
The constitution adopted on 17th October 2007 stated that:
The purpose of the group shall be to protect, record, promote and celebrate the heritage of Kirriemuir and surrounding district, in all and any of its forms including historical, cultural, architectural and social. The Group will also help and enable the local community to benefit from the unique heritage of Kirriemuir and district. The affairs of the Trust will be managed by The Trustees, of whom there shall be a minimum of 9 and a maximum of 15 persons. They shall be elected at an Annual General Meeting. Membership shall be open to anyone 16 years of age or over.
Examples of future activities for the trust might include:
- · Raise awareness of the achievements in any walk of life of citizens, past and present.
- · Ensuring the continuance of places of significance.
- · Bringing old buildings back into use for the future.
- · Creating a heritage centre to supplement the museum and attract more visitors.
- · Setting up genealogical databases.
- · Excavating and recording lifestyles of the past.
- · Supporting local schools in relevant curricular areas.
- · Creating legacies and environmental improvements for the future.
To find out more about us, contact our secretary: Heidi Findlay